Recommended Video Player for Macs
For Apple Mac computers, we recommend VLC Media Player Version 2.2.8. The other versions of VLC cause the frame-by-frame to freeze, so download version 2.2.8 and do not install newer versions. VLC is free, safe, and has a easy frame-by-frame option.
Important: If your Mac's operating system is version 10.15 or newer, then install Elmedia Player instead of VLC. To check your Mac OS: Click on the Apple icon in the top left, select "About This Mac", then the version will be at the top listed under the MacOS name (Catalina).
To install VLC on your Mac:
- Follow this link: Download VLC Media Player
- Select “Mac Computer,” then select “Mac Computers - VLC 2.2.8.dmg”
- Select the blue “Download” button.
- Select the download icon, then click on the download.
- A popup will appear, then drag the VLC orange icon over into the Applications folder.
- Open the Applications folder, then open VLC.
- A popup will appear asking if you are sure you want to open VLC Media Player. Select “Open.”
- Hold "Control" on your keyboard and click on the orange VLC icon, select Options, then Keep in Dock.
To view your ShotKam videos in VLC:
- Open VLC Media Player.
- Select “File” in the upper left-hand corner. Then, select “Open File…”
- Locate the ShotKam under Devices, then open the "ShotKam" folder and select the dated folder for the shots you would like to view.
- Close VLC Media Player.
- Before unplugging, select the Eject icon next to the ShotKam device in Finder.
How do I go frame-by-frame?
To go frame-by-frame in VLC Media Player, use the "e" key on your keyboard. Please note that the frame-by-frame function freezes in VLC's latest update, version 3.0+. Be sure that you are using VLC version 2.2.8 to view your ShotKam videos.
What are the keyboard shortcuts?
Spacebar: Pause and play videos.
E: Go frame-by-frame.
F: Full-screen mode.
Esc: Exit full-screen mode.
S: Close videos.